View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #216
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Default Re: What Nolan does poorest. Villain Endings

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
Monster as in behemoth. It's huge, bloated with "stuff". You've got multiple characters (with nearly half being unimportant secondaries) with multiple plot points converging. Yeah, we can process it and I'd be lying if some of the concepts and ideas weren't cool but it just seems like a mess. Like a an early, early draft with all these ideas that need to be revised and cut.

We're in Gotham, now we're in an unknown pit in the ground. Oh, here's a bomb. Blake just killed a guy, oh snap they're gonna kill Gordon! No they're not, Gordon just took them out. Final Batman and Bane fight? Let's cut away to two other happenings across the city like Episode I the Phantom Menace while this chant is booming.

For me all of TDKR makes the Dark Knight's third act seem clean and slow.

It wouldn't have hurt the film if they took their time in some places. It shouldn't be a presentation of sprinting to the end. Certain areas of the movie should set the mood. How about one of the first scenes we ever saw in a trailer? Where Bruce (or ski-masked "Batman") visits Gordon in the hospital for the first time in 8 years? That should be a thoughtful, touching scene that takes it's time. Show Gordon's response to seeing his old friend since "that night" after this stranger comes through the window. Show the shock. Don't just cut quickly and skip things where you have Bruce going down the window, then right at Gordon's side with less than a minute left. That's a BIG moment isn't it? Hell, they spend more time with Bane and Bruce in the pit with Bane's speech then they do with that scene.

No time to savor it, take it all in. Most of the movie is like that. BAM, BAM, BAM, throwing mud on the wall and hoping it sticks. I don't think anyone expects Tarantino like dialogue or scenes where it's all about slow build up and character interaction but a little more "being in the moment" would be nice instead of racing off to stop plot device A or B every 20 seconds.

You blame the editor, I blame the story tellers. The editor has to make sense of what was shot and make it as close to the script as possible. I watch TDKR and it seems just like the script (except with some touching, long moments, like exchanges between characters such as Bruce and Alfred cut out) come to life. How that's the editor's fault is beyond me. Not when you're dealing with all of this story and locations and characters.
I've tried to put this problem into words, but not as well as you have. You hit the nail right on the head.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote