View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part

We got thread managed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
wow, great points.. that might be the perfect synopsis of Thor ever. But I still think, from the film standpoint he wouldn't have gotten there without Jane. But you've nearly convinced me otherwise Darth.

The Hammer + Loki saying Odin died scene almost slipped my mind and it is for sure where he realizes who he was and who he needs to be. It does seem to me that they are playing Jane to be a major factor in this movie though, and whether she lives or dies, I still think she is essentially his bridge to Midgard in context of the movies at least.

Another factor to me, even though it was almost a throwaway scene was that the first person he asked about when 'securing' Loki was Jane, he wanted to make sure that she was safe first and foremost.

I'm okay with whatever way they go with this next Thor movie, because if Jane dies he's going to want to protect earth even more, and if she's alive and well he's still going to want to watch over her, and Earth closely as well.
Jane has two main functions. She is the love interest (she makes overheated eyes at Thor) and she is our representative. She is the one that looks on in awe and skepticism, and allows for the exposition. Thor caring for Jane is not really important in the context of the man and warrior he is. He cares for her yes, but she does not define him. On the flip side, Jane is very much defined by Thor, but that isn't really important to this argument. So back to the previous point.

I think this made clear when Thor is "courting" her. He does not act differently in anyway that is because of her. His sorrow and melancholy is what is effecting his overall mood. It has brought him down a few notches and thus he is more quiet, more reserved, more observant. He is starting to sit back and considering how he effects others.

Just think about the cup incident. Thor doesn't break it to be "bad", he breaks it because that is the way things are in Asgard. Once he realizes this isn't how you show your satisfaction on Midgard he stops. But it is only later, after he has started actually considering others and their feelings first and foremost, that he replaces the cup.

If anything, it is the Odin situation that allows Thor to even consider Jane for what she is. An attractive young woman.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 04-27-2013 at 09:10 PM.