View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #545
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
The only great things Marvel has done with their movies are Spectacle (specially on Ironman movies and Avengers) and a good sense of humour.

But in terms of quality storytelling and themes... Fox X-men, X2 and FC are superior than most Marvel movies.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. Themes, yes, because X-Men comics have always addressed social issues far more than any other Marvel title. I mean, the X Men were created as a metaphor for the civil rights struggle and minority issues. So naturally the movies, which are based on the comics, addresses these more than say Iron Man or Captain America.

Storytelling, well...They did an ok job, but I enjoy more character focused storytelling, and other than Wolverine, the X Men are portrayed very 2-D, taking away what in my opinion made the X Men very special compared to other mainstream superheroes. Singer took away the family dynamics that Whedon managed in the Avengers.

I look forward to the day that the X Men are rebooted and given someone other than Singer or Vaughn. Not that they did a terrible job...I enjoyed X Men, X2 and FC, for what they were. I'll be there next summer to see DOFP as well, but my expectations are already pretty low, so at least I won't be disappointed (hopefully!)

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote