View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #61
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Well there you go. And that's your opinion. No matter how good McKellen is I can never put his performance next tho Heath's Joker. Not even close. But that's just me.

The thing is, and I agree with Doomsday, apart from Loki, MCU doesn't have a whole lot of memorable villains. If you look around, villains like Joker and Bane are being quoted all the time, people dress up as them and parody them, draw funny **** with them, people who aren't necessarily fans recognize them, etc, etc. They were memorable. The same cannot be said about Whiplash, Justin Hammer, Blonsky, or Red Skull - even though they had all these great actors in the roles.
I think McKellen was great as Magneto and out of the superheroes/villains that's been played by more than one actor I'd say that Magneto is the best acted of all.

It's also pretty interesting in regards to Batman and Iron Man as I think they are almost polar opposites. Batman had a great villain (The Joker) but I didn't care as much about Batman/Wayne himself in that movie (this goes for a lesser extent to TDKR, as Bane wasn't quite as good and got ruined at the end for me). Iron Man/Stark is hugely entertaining for me though but the villains weren't as iconic (I haven't seen the third movie yet though).

I think that Thor is the hero that balances good hero and good villain the best for me. It will be interesting to see how it turns out when there's a new villain in TDW.