View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #306
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 53

"It's all about what fits the tone and story of the film. But then I never understood the fixation on hummable or whistling themes. I prefer the score to not stick out and rather blend in with the movie/visuals."

Right, though I would argue that a lot of Hans' latest work DOES stick out. Heck, parts of the dialog in the TDK trilogy get played over by the music. That's probably why he's so popular among many, because they can hear his music within the film, rather than having to listen to the score separately to appreciate it. I would even argue that he DOES make memorable music, but one with a simplistic notation style and chord progression. It tends to be a bit TOO predictable for me. I'd rather want to guess what the next chord will be, like Elfman's exhilarating Spider-Man theme

If all this sounds like a negative rant, I'll be the first to tell you that I feel like the MOS music is a MAJOR step in the right direction. Blade-Runnesque ambience, with Gladiator-styled vocals, beautiful violins, Elfmanish strings on one sample track, etc. I think it will Hans' best solo album in YEARS. And possibly DC's best movie. So we all win