View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #63
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Storm VS Mystique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I very much doubt it. At the time Lawrence's biggest claim to fame was her turn in a little-seen film and the Oscar nomination that followed. She was a promising young talent but absolutely nothing like where she is these days.
You must be delusional if you don't think Lawrence's Winter's Bone acclaim and Oscar had nothing to do with Mystique's surprising and much elevated role in First Class.

Quote:
Erm while I'm not the biggest fan of Halle Berry's Storm... inner ugliness? Exemplified in X2 by what?
It's pretty clear what that scene meant and what I meant. While Kurt looks like a demon on the outside, it's Storm who has inner demons (anger, etc). That's the 'ugliness' - emotions that are not attractive or healthy.

Also, regarding your later post, I don't think she showed pity towards Senator Kelly but more a sort of caring compassion in a characterisation that was sort of Earth Mother-ish (an aspect from the comics). Admittedly, it doesn't exactly sit nicely with that X2 scene (which was written later). However, Storm has chosen to become a member of the X-Men, whose role is essentially to preserve Xavier's dream by protecting humanity from the bad mutants. So there are complexities for the screenwriters to resolve.