View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #64
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Default Re: Storm VS Mystique

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
You must be delusional if you don't think Lawrence's Winter's Bone acclaim and Oscar had nothing to do with Mystique's surprising and much elevated role in First Class.
Why would it though? She was hardly on the mainstream radar back then. The movie she was in grossed about $14 million worldwide (according to wikipedia) - IMO hardly a reason for anyone to go out of their way to expand her role. Oscar race that year was all about Natalie Portman and Oscar nomination by itself doesn't necessarily mean a lot. Besides, nominations for Academy Awards 2011 were announced in late January 2011 whereas First Class entered production in August 2010 with principal photography concluding in December (wikipedia again).

Quote:
It's pretty clear what that scene meant and what I meant. While Kurt looks like a demon on the outside, it's Storm who has inner demons (anger, etc). That's the 'ugliness' - emotions that are not attractive or healthy.
I actually completely forgot about the "gave up on pity" line in that conversation. My bad I guess, but then I just never got an impression of Storm being angry or bitter at all. So the "ugliness" comment kinda threw me off.

Quote:
Also, regarding your later post, I don't think she showed pity towards Senator Kelly but more a sort of caring compassion in a characterisation that was sort of Earth Mother-ish (an aspect from the comics).
That Earth Mother-ish aspect was actually one thing that I found totally convincing about Berry's Storm (unlike any attempt to make her more badass or bitter). In the Kelly scene and also in the X2 scene where she shows concern for the trapped kids at the base.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 05-01-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote