View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #54
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
Um, the criticism for iron man 2 had nothing to do with the fact that they merged whiplash and crimson dynamo into one character. General audiences and critics, the opinions of whom are what truly matter in the long run (not those of fans) either didn't realize that they combined 2 characters or didnt care because the two characters are pretty lame in the first place, and were improved IMO.the only lesson that was to be "learned" from Im 2 was to limit the avengers set up, which they did.
DarkSovereignty, I agree with alot of what you said. I do think that most people complaining about Iron Man 2 did take the largest issue with it being a setup for Avengers and not enough of a stand alone film. However, I wouldn't go as far as to suggest that nobody was upset by the amalgrimation of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo at least not within the comic community. Now I understand where you are coming from, as you feel they are not aiming at the fans and they are aiming at the wider audience and critics with these movies. I mean after all they are a business right? However, my question would be why do they not have enough faith in their own characters with their long histories and compelling stories to sustain a movie? Once again I think some smaller changes are okay to make a character more relateable to todays crowd (such as Tony Stark being taken prisoner and becoming Iron Man in Afghanistan versus Vietnam), but large changes leave me feeling like they have little faith in their characters. Now perhaps you would say these character were lame by themselves as a reason for their change, but I would say the amalgrimation of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo was lame. You could say that it doesn't matter what I think because they are targeting non comic book fans (which is fair enough), but I would say comic book fans are the foundation of what made their business great and it has allowed them to prosper and get to where they are today, and a home without a strong foundation can collapse. Keep in mind that if their movie universe fails or just runs it's course and ends, their continued success as a business will depend on the comics, so I think they should be taking every opportunity to convert audiences into comic book fans along the way (and of course vice versa), which to me means you respect the source. Anyways, that is how I see it, I have said my peace, but I do respect where your coming from.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote