View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #69
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howlett View Post
WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!! DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE

Kingsley was great, no doubt, but i hated the twist. Shane Black tried to replicate Chris Nolan's Ra's al Ghul twist from Batman Begins, and in the process, destroyed the character of Mandarin who is the most iconic Iron Man villain. The idea of the Mandarin being a created persona was terrible. Ben Kingsley as the REAL mandarin and the main villain would have made an epic movie.
No, as much i love Nolan's work not everything has to be a ripoff of something Nolan did. The twist had nothing similar to Ras Al Ghul. Ducard being Ras Al Ghul and having decoys is Nolan's way of saying that Ras Al Ghul is Immortal, he is an idea more than a man. So instead of the Lazarus Pits he has more grounded decoys to pass his Message to the world. The twist in Iron Man 3 is a Shane Blackism, its a very smart twist that pisses people off, usually people that are invested in Iron Man as a character. I, who havent't read many Iron Man books and don't care for him as much as i do other characters (ex Batman, Daredevil) it didn't bother me much, actually if you watch the film a second time knowing the twist is pretty funny and the movie makes A LOT more sense. Except the part with the kid sidekick that sucked big time.

NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote