View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #403
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

I like how so many are dumping on Jane for being a shallow love interest. I hate saying this, but other than Pepper and Whedon's take on BW (notice the emphasis on Whedon), that goes for every woman in the MCU, sadly.

I am just happy that she is back because Thor ended that on such a cliffhanger and one of the best parts about the first film was the chemistry that Hemsworth had with Portman, Skarsgard, et al. The Earth scenes did indeed feel like they were shot and budgeted on the cheap and made to pad the movie out, but Branagh cast really good actors who made it a very enjoyable diversion for most of the second act, even if Kat Dennings tried to undermine it with annoying plucky sidekick syndrome.

But it makes sense from a business standpoint to leave Jane out now. Marvel needed Portman to sell an unknown property like Thor in 2011. Now, he is THOR OF THE AVENGERS and stunt casting is not needed. Granted, I do not know if it will work from a narrative standpoint. Whether she lives or dies, she must leave while simultaneously re-cementing Thor's commitment to Earth. However, she likely will leave because Portman won an Oscar since she principle photography on Thor wrapped and honestly is bigger than this small role.

However, she and Hemsworth have great chemistry, something that Alexander has yet to prove. I would not be in a hurry to dump such a talent. Then again, given how Marvel writes their female characters, it probably will not matter in the grand scheme of things.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote