View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #49
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
SM1 is 1/2 a decent movie(1st half til Macy Gray and the GG show up) and half a s***-storm of a movie. Ultimately it evens out IMO to a film that ever so barely passes muster and avoids being a full on bad movie. TASM was IMO the best non-Marvel made Marvel character film to date. It jettisoned the Steve Urkel-ish sensibilities of the Raimiverse. Thank God! I couldn't take any more of that crap.

But even though BB is saddled with Katie Holmes/Rachel Dawes, i.e. Ms. "I'll singlehandedly make sure this film never reaches greatness" I'd still give it the edge over TASM, just not by a whole lot.
If you want to call Maguire's Peter Steve Urkel, can I call Garfield's Edward Cullen?

Yes, I would agree that the second half of SM1 is not as strong as the first half. But that first half is nearly perfect. And the second half has plenty of strong stuff, like Simmon's JJJ, the upside down kiss, the entire Thanksgiving sequence beginning with Norman getting there, GG vs. Spidey in the abandoned warehouse at the end and the final swing.

TASM just does not have much that sticks out of mind after seeing it other than they got Spidey's in-costume personality right but the screenplay really disserviced Garfield out of costume as they made Peter such a tool. That and the Lizard sucked. And I say this as a fan of the Lizard who has waited over a decade to see him on screen. Imagine my disappointment.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote