View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #125
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: One Piece discussion (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avangarde View Post
I enjoyed Film Z but I still like Strong World a fraction more. I might change my opinion once I watch the HD version with better subs. I any case, it was a pretty cool movie, and I liked how it revealed more about the OP world. Aokiji FTW
I have to say that i didn't enjoy Strong World as much, i even prefered some of the previous films that it. I'm not sure why but even though it's written by Oda i felt that it lacked the emotion and well used themes like most story arcs of One Piece. I still hope Funimation releases it soon though, it would also be the perfect time for them to put Chapter 0 (manga version) in the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post

As far as girls and anime, I watch enough of it I'm pretty upfront about it. Figure it's better to be honest about that, rather than it catching them by surprise later in an akward way. Since anime can still be seen as a childish medium here, I usually try to ease others into anime with some of the more mature, or action-story driven ones. I just had bad timing with Film Z, lol.

Oh, and for the reference, it kills me to have to say ppl see it as childish, but many seem to. They see animation, and assume it equals cartoons like Bugs Bunny, or something. Just like with gaming gaining more mainstream appeal, and ppl finally, slowly seeing it as more than just a child's toy. I'm hoping the same happens with anime, and ppl see that it's more than Pokemon, and heavily censored DBZ episodes.
It's good that you're upfront about anime but you should be careful when watching one that have girls with exagerated proportions, because they're most of the times going to use that for a lot of fanservice. In Japan animation is regarded as an art, and comics aren't taken as imature either since they have a very broad audience, which is why One Piece and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are seen in so many restaurants.

The only way anime can get more popular in the USA and some European countries is if Hollywood starts making successful adaptations like they've been making with american comics. Dragon Ball Evolution was a huge fail, but the new Guillermo Del Toro produced "Monster" is a step in the right direction.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote