View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Shane Black did this as more of a Tony Stark character study than an actual superhero movie, I honestly believe that.
Well, he tried but kinda failed miserably because when you think about it the best part of Tonys arc was achieved in the avengers. He had gone from selfish partyboy in IM to down in the dumps in IM2 to selfsacrificing hero and team player in the Avengers.

I don't think a whole movie where they beat the dead horse that the man is the hero and not the suit was necessary. The suit helped him enter another dimension but the man made the choice, came up with the idea. It showed he was very resourceful. I mean, I wouldn't have thought of that. I would probably have diverted the nuke somewhere else in our own dimension or the ocean or something. From IM1 to the Avengers was a good solid arc for Tony.

Who is Tony Stark in IM3 ? A guy who proves how resourceful he is by making an electric glove, custom bombs and a nailgun, to storm a mansion in Miami. At least have him sort out the MK42 armor with the proverbial 'box of scraps' in Tennessee so that it works properly and proves to be his most formidable armor yet. All that was needed was a childs insight.

This shows a rediscovered fascination of his tinkering and talent for making the 'impossible' possible. Instead of him just randomly building 35 armors out of fear of the future, have him build/repair his Magnum Opus in a shed in Rose Hill Tennessee out of his love for building things. These are strong themes that really resonate with any kind of audience. We can root for such a character.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 05-04-2013 at 01:18 AM.