Originally Posted by Incredible Hans
Even with the surprise effect, the attack almost failed.
What was Killian thinking? -
- "Oh, that's the guy who built a suit powerful enough to fight an alien army... and I hear he has 20 or 30 of the suits at his home. I'd say we send three helicopters!"
-"Only three ordinary helicopters, boss? Really? They will go down within seconds!"
- "Yes, but maybe with all his high-tech stuff there, he doesn't have a simple radar-based defense system, and maybe he is totally careless and not thinking..."
- "But he is a genius!"
- "Ah, come on, let's at least try it. I'd say we got a 10% chance that his works. And if it doesn't work..." "
- "... the people will say he challenged the Mandarin and won the first round."
- "Ah... whatever. Send the helicopters!"
I think it's reasonable to assume that Tony Stark is the kind of narcissist that would think no one would really try to attack him at his home seeing as he is Iron Man. It's safe to assume this is why he doesn't have a defense system because he thinks he's untouchable (classic narcissistic thinking). So Killian's plan actually working isn't a stretch. Yeah you can say all the "ifs" you want but let's face it that's life. "If" a man walking down the street would have waited 5 more seconds to turn a corner he wouldn't have gotten hit by a car. So saying "if" Stark had 3 more seconds he could have stopped the attack is just a cop out to say why you think the scene was a bad one. Tony Stark thought he was untouchable and Killian caught him off guard and proved him wrong, plain and simple no "ifs, ands or buts" about it.