View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #25
divan
Side-Kick

Default Re: What did you LIKE and ENJOY about Iron Man 3 [SPOILERS]

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Aldrich Killian's The Mandarin. I'm one of the few who thought that Ben Kingsley's version was going too be quite boring and typical (a mastermind terrorist who talks too much but in the end just gives commands) so I was actually surprised by Guy Pearce's version. While you could argue Killian is nothing new either (a mad scientist going for revenge), personally I thought he was much more interesting and smart (yes, the logic behind the twist is suberb, specially as a deconstruction of comic-book typical villains). Besides, I kinda like flawed villains more. I like guys like Killian and Loki more because, despite their arrogance, they end up overestimating their capabilities (which, believe or not, is a more realistic take on the Supervillain). Personally I hate those menaces that are presented as 'flawless' during the whole movie only to be unceremoniously beaten in the third act. With those it's anti-climax, with Killian is interesting character writing. Besides... Anyone here likes The Incredibles? Because I've read a lot of complains about Killian's "weak" motivation when I thought it was good, in line if Syndrome's from that movie. For me it was much more effective for Stark to fight a villain that was created by him in the past but who Stark would have never seen coming because it shows that the mistakes Stark has to solve were not always so obvious to him.

divan is offline   Reply With Quote