Re: Why the 1970's?
Not sure why no one else seems to be getting that Watergate is pretty much synonymous with Nixon...
Maybe Singer won't stretch the movie into including Vietnam footage (though I would still love to see Wolvie and Forge together like that), but we know the following:
1. Singer wanted Nixon in this movie.
2. The movie will take place in 1973.
3. He was scouting Washington D.C.
4. The main things happening in 1973 were the Paris Peace Accord and the investigation into the Watergate scandal.
5. Watergate was not about getting pictures of democratic committee documents and installing spy cameras, it was about getting a document titled "The X Envelope".
6. 1973 was when Nixon made his "I'm not a crook" speech.
This all seems relevant!