View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #549
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
Did anyone else feel really bad for Killian in the 1999 flashback?

He just seemed like an excited and naive guy who was excited to meet one of his idols. Couple that with his unfortunate appearance and physical handicap, and 1999 Killian really makes for an empathetic character.

And then we see a brash and cocky Tony ruthlessly humiliate the guy for absolutely no reason whatsoever right when he was so excited to meet Stark.

That the Mandarin actually starts out as truly empathetic and turns into the brutal villian we see at the end of the film is just another one of the reasons that the Mandarin is one of my favorite MCU villains so far!

I felt bad for him. He was shown being insecure and really looking up to Tony, which made the treatment he received even worse.
I especially liked one of the lines in Tony's monologue at the end: the one about taking something pure and ruining it (or something along those lines.) The intercut to Killian on the rooftop really reinforced the emotional impact of said transformation.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote