Thread: Hulk vs Thor
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #89
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Hulk vs Thor

Yeah, the Hulk's incredibly popular. I don't know what your experience was watching Avengers, but people cheered at pretty much every showing I went to whenever the Hulk did anything. It was a little irritating, although the rest of the movie made up for it.

And Lee conceived of Thor as flat-out more powerful than the Hulk. The explanation he usually gives is that he'd created the strongest human on Earth with the Hulk but he needed to top that, so he decided to go with an immortal--hence, Thor. Obviously, power levels have shifted over time and other writers' interpretations, but initially, according to Lee, Thor trumped the Hulk.

And Thor has won a couple of their fights. More often than not, they reach a stalemate. A couple of times Thor has had the Hulk on the ropes but the Hulk gets all pissy and demands Thor throw away Mjolnir or grabs a human hostage to make Thor back off. Also, Thor usually handicaps himself a bit when he fights the Hulk. As you noted, Thor has about a thousand more powers than the Hulk, yet he usually fights him hand-to-hand because it's part of Thor's code of honor to not escalate fights unnecessarily--i.e. if someone punches Thor, he's gonna punch back, not shoot them with lightning or whisk them off to another dimension or do any of the dozens of other things he could do. The Hulk's not smart enough to have a code of anything, so he just does whatever.