View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Re: Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children

Frank Quitely & Mark Millar's 'Jupiter's Legacy' Examined From Top To Bottom [Review]

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brothers
I have a love/hate relationship with Mark Millar's work. When I was getting back into comics as an adult, his work with Frank Quitely and Bryan Hitch on The Authority and The Ultimates were fairly instrumental in keeping me reading. As time went on, though, and his books descended deeper into pandering to the lowest common denominator, I began losing interest. But he keeps working with artists I dig, so I'm routinely tempted to at least flip through. Jupiter's Legacy is out this week, and it's his first book with Frank Quitely since The Authority ended and the first long form work Quitely has done without Grant Morrison in forever. I like Quitely's art work a lot, and Peter Doherty's colors are generally a treat.

So I sat down with Jupiter's Legacy and tried to figure out what works, what doesn't, and how I feel about that. This is a thorough autopsy, so grab your comic and read along.

*That* Panel From Jupiterís Legacy #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnston
We ran the first review of Jupiterís Legacy #1, out today, last week. During which we mentioned a very specific panel by artists Frank Quitely and Peter Doherty in which a telepath created a new reality, and does so showing different levels of realities as fully print-ready art, just the colour guides and then the pencils, literally showing the creative process as an analogy for a very different one.

First Review: Jupiterís Legacy #1 by Mark Millar, Frank Quitely and Peter Doherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnston
Itís the new, much anticipated creator owned superhero comic from Mark Millar and Frank Quitely, coloured by Pete Doherty Itís reported to have pre-orders in the region of 150,000, putting it well into the top five for the month at least. Thereís a lot of expectation and hope resting upon it.

But the first thing out of the gate, youíre going to think is that youíre watching an episode of a familiar TV series. A group of young folk trying to persuade a shipís captain to take them and a crew to a mysterious island on an empty point of a map that they saw in a dream, that is an answer to all the world needs. It even holds back on what happens on the island. But it is old, it is full of knowledge and it calls to people.

Whooshy sound increasing in volume. Cut to black. LOST. But as a superhero origin story.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote