View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
I have 2 other points of contention. First is the lack of SHIELD. Granted, this was supposed to be a non-Avengers story...however, the President is kidnapped, you have a super-villian blowing stuff up all across the country, and yet, other than a mention of Tony using their database, it's as if SHIELD doesn't exist. Don't get me wrong, I feel this needed to be an Iron Man centric story, however, I fel like they went out of their way to make SHIELD invisible in the movie, and it ultimately did a disservice to the film. I feel there could have been ways to incorporate SHIELD into the plot of the film, while still leaving this as Tony's problem to solve.
SHIELD had probably already investigated "The Mandarin" and correctly deduced that it was smoke and mirrors. They'd put their ear to the ground and listen to chatter in the terrorist networks and find no evidence of such a person actually existing, and chalk it up to some nut trying to take credit for things he had nothing to do with.

Plus, SHIELD seems to be devoted to investigating and countering superpowered threats, not "mundane" ones that can be handled by the FBI or CIA or other appropriate organizations.

Quote:
Finally, there is the relationship between Rhodey and Tony. Is it just me, or did it feel like Rhodey and Tony were more "passing aquaintences" than real friends and heroic partners in this film? In the final fight, War Machine isn't even hardly involved, and the majority of the movie the two of them are apart. Furthermore, there isn't even a single instance of Tony questioning why War Machine didn't have his back in New York. Heck, in the bar scene they could have had Tony giving Rhodey a bad time for missing the battle with the Chitauri and that would have been not only a nod to the Avengers, but also tie up the question of why War Machine was non existent in the attack.
There's a prequel comic to IM3 that explains why WM wasn't at the Battle of New York. (The US had sent him to fight a Ten Rings cell in Hong Kong at the very same time the Chitauri invasion dropped.) And Tony and Rhodey *had* to be apart for most of the film because (a) Tony was laying low, and (b) Rhodey was very high profile, by contrast. The Prez had pretty much personally tasked him with taking on The Mandarin mano-a-mano. So neither could be seen together.

But I agree that they missed a huge opportunity to debut the "new" War Machine armor during the final fight. Rhodey asks Tony to suit him up, and Tony blows him off. I fully expected to see the new WM armor at that moment, but.....nothin'.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014