View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: Disappointments of the Trilogy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
Im going to add another one.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

How Tony loses the Arc Reactor in his chest.

After the "terrible privliege" speech that he gives to Banner in "The Avengers" to have it so callously removed at the end of IM3, feels like Tony's speech to Banner was virtually meaningless.

Had he lost it because of his using Extremis (as he did in Iron Man: Armored Adventures) then I would have been alright with that. But just having it removed, for the sake of having it removed, seems to take something away from why he had it in the first place, and the valuable lesson it taught him.
Yeah. I haven't commented on this one much since I saw the movie on Thursday. I mean... There were much greater disappointments in the film than this arc reactor removal moment. And I feel like I understand why they did it. It's like having Batman retire at the end of TDKR. I mean... no one actually believes he's done being Batman/Iron Man. We just needed a sense of closure at the end of the film.

As far as the "terrible privilege" line goes, it still stands. Its just that now Tony is no longer reliant on that piece of shrapnel in his chest to tell him he has to be a hero. Now he just "IS" Iron Man. Just like Hulk is "always angry."

Because let me tell you, as close as that shrapnel was to his heart, modern medicine wouldve seen it removed as opposed to electromagnet/car battery from the beginning. Like, instead of holding that press conference he shouldve gone to the hospital. But he became obsessed.

I understand the character arc. It's not my biggest gripe with the series or this specific installment. I personally really want to see the huge hole in his chest. But that's just my morbid side talking.