View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #29
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
The one thing I didn't get was all the footage of Kingsley's Mandarin in the desert with those terrorists, so were they all suppose to be actors too?
Yeah. And did I miss a part in the movie where it showed the executed Roxxon worker to also be an actor?

I know they were trying to be clever, but it really was a misfire and that's what makes it so frustrating. They had all the elements in place for something awesome. All they had to do was follow through with the Mandarin as we thought he'd be during the first half. Instead they made him into a debauched, drunken buffoon who made jokes about stinking up bathrooms and yelled at soccer games. If they never introduced the Mandarin and just played it as Tony VS Killian for the first half of the movie I wouldn't have cared as much, but why give us such an awesome presence only to take it away? It's like Thundercrack said, if Joker was revealed to be an internet meme or if Bane was some clueless bodybuilder from Venice Beach. Would it have been a huge twist? Yeah. But that doesn't make it good.

And people are still confusing love of Mandarin from the trailers with love of Mandarin in comics. I think many more people were let down because the badass Mandarin from those great trailers basically didn't exist, not because he wasn't the walking, talking Fu Manchu stereotype from the comics.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.