View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #70
nogap87
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantasticJoe View Post
It's not misleading, they just aren't talking about the character Ben Kingsley played.

I brought up this point in the previous thread, but I'll say it again: I was wondering if people would be taking this plot development better if they hadn't looked at all the trailers and promotional materials beforehand. We all got this idea in our heads that Ben Kingsley WAS the Mandarin that the concept of anyone else in the role was absurd. If someone went into the movie completely blind, not knowing anything about the story or the characters, would they react as negatively? Everyone was so comfortable with the misdirection that the trailers planted in our heads that many are still refusing to accept anything otherwise. I'm wondering if people would be this opposed to accepting Guy Pearce as the Mandarin if they didn't get used to Ben Kingsley as the character months beforehand.
Speaking for myself, if I didn't see the trailers I probably would have been mildly amused by the twist at first. The problem is that it didn't change the outcome of the plot. Like IM2, everything worked out in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
So they wanted a cartoony bad guy instead?

"Bwahahaa! I shall get you next time, Iron Man! You cannot hope to defeat my amazing ring powers! You. Shall be. DEFEATED!" *shakes fist and twirls robe as he walks away.
Kingsley's Mandarin wasn't advertised like that so I'm not sure where you're coming from.