View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #72
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantasticJoe View Post
It's not misleading, they just aren't talking about the character Ben Kingsley played.

I brought up this point in the previous thread, but I'll say it again: I was wondering if people would be taking this plot development better if they hadn't looked at all the trailers and promotional materials beforehand. We all got this idea in our heads that Ben Kingsley WAS the Mandarin that the concept of anyone else in the role was absurd. If someone went into the movie completely blind, not knowing anything about the story or the characters, would they react as negatively? Everyone was so comfortable with the misdirection that the trailers planted in our heads that many are still refusing to accept anything otherwise. I'm wondering if people would be this opposed to accepting Guy Pearce as the Mandarin if they didn't get used to Ben Kingsley as the character months beforehand.
Biggest issue I have with the twist is not the film itself, but the promotion of the film itself. There's no doubt in my mind had the promotional work not been built around The Mandarin people would have been more accepting.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.