View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #91
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
The funny thing about this 'Mandarin outrage' is that we never were going to get the Mandarin anyways. When was the Mandarin a sunglass wearing Osama bin Laden? He obviously was never going to have the Makulan Rings. He obviously was never going to be a physical threat to Iron Man given that they cast a 70 year old.
I'm going to just stop here and make these comments:

1. His physical look was as a Middle Eastern terrorist and anarchist. Wearing random clothing and accessories from all around the globe made the character work. It gave him a mysterious background.

2. He wore the rings and they were shown prominently multiple times in trailers and online featurettes. Not to mention Marvel opened the can of worms that is alien involvement in the Avengers. So what would keep him from having alien rings?

3. Ian McKellan as Magneto. He was in his late 60s for X-Men The Last Stand, and will be in Days of Future Past at the age of 74 (he turns 74 this month).

And for the record, I'm not saying to "stuff" the alien stuff in the movie. I'm just saying that because of Thanos, The Other and the Chutari, it would be PLAUSIBLE for Mandarin to have the rings. That was said to be the primary issue with using Mandarin in the first movies.