05-08-2013, 10:51 PM
2008 ~ 2014
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II
Colorado legislature gives final approval to historic marijuana bills
If Gov. John Hickenlooper signs the four major bills on marijuana that the legislature passed this year — and he has indicated he will — this is what the future will hold:
• Marijuana will be sold in specially licensed stores that can also sell pot-related items like pipes. Only Colorado residents can own or invest in the stores, and only current medical-marijuana dispensary owners can apply to open recreational pot shops for the first nine months. The first stores will open around Jan. 1, 2014.
• Colorado residents will be able to buy up to an ounce of marijuana — the maximum it is legal for non-medical-marijuana patients to possess — at the stores. Out-of-staters can buy only a quarter-ounce at a time. Pot must be sold in child-resistant packages with labels that specify potency. Edible marijuana products will have serving-size limits.
• Voters will have the option of imposing heavy taxes on pot sales. A ballot measure set for November will ask voters to approve a 15 percent excise tax and an initial 10 percent sales tax on marijuana. The excise tax will fund school construction. The sales tax will pay for regulation of marijuana stores.
• Incorporated marijuana collectives will be banned. So, too, will marijuana coffee shops, marijuana smoking in bars and government-run marijuana stores. And, though Colorado will have the most liberal laws for marijuana use and sales in the country, it will have the most restrictive laws in the country for marijuana-themed magazines, which, like pornography, will have to be kept behind the counter. Publications such as High Times and The Daily Doobie have vowed to sue.
• Finally, Colorado drivers for the first time will be subject to a stoned-driving limit. Juries will be allowed to presume that anyone testing above the limit was too high to drive.
"When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings
2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion