View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #392
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
There was definitely a shortage of "fans of the actual character (Mandarin)" before this movie came out. Now all of a sudden, Mandarin apparently gains this huge outraged comic-book fanbase.....go figure.

And here's the thing: none of these overnight Fandarin bandwagoners can point to how, exactly, the comic-book character could have been portrayed authentically....because Mandarin has been altered and changed so many times over the decades that there is no one definitive look or backstory or powerset to the character. And that's pretty much what Shane Black was getting at in this movie. In fact, between Kingsley and Pearce, the "two Mandarins" pay homage to every iteration of the character from the 1960s until present. What we got was an amalgamation of all the different Mandarins, presented in a unique way that is both true to the character(s), and refreshingly new and contemporary.

Definitive look(in the comics) is that he's at least asian. Definitive powers reside in his rings. The rings are the Mandarin. When you see them, you think of the Mandarin. That's definitive.

He has both of those. And I don't know about "overnight bandwagoner", but I provided how I'd get the Mandarin to work when you asked me for my take a few weeks ago. And others have provided logical ways for the Mandarin with rings to actually work in an IM movie.