View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #215
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
My criteria is that any manager we should have been considering should speak English 100%. That's the only point I was making, I wasn't making a point regarding Klopp's English in particular.
I thought Mourinho was your first choice though? He doesn't speak English 100%.

Quote:
Moyes had virtually no budget at Everton, he had to sell in order to buy, maybe not in the same season, but eventually he'd have to balance books.

Keeping Everton in positions between 4th & 7th, when you consider the fact that you have Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, City & Tottenham all pretty much spending freely for the most part is a very good achievement. Realistically, he'd have had to have got very lucky with transfers to even come close to challenging the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal.
No budget? He paid 16M for Fellaini alone, this notion that he made the team by turning dust and bones into flesh & blood players is a myth. He didn't have the budget the top 6 have but he was working with a decent set of players that didn't come for free, no more so than the teams around him. Keeping Everton where he did was solid and consistent work for sure, but hardly the stuff that makes him close to ideal for replacing SAF, in fact I'm certain he was chosen for different reason than his time at Everton.

Quote:
The thing is though, what has Moyes ever been expected to win or challenge for seriously at Everton? The league was never realistic, cups are pot luck alot of the time. Whereas Dortmund, Dortmund are expected to be challenging for the Bundesliga against Bayern. It's kinda unfair compairing those 2 instances, it would be like me saying Klopp won nothing in 8 years at Mainz.. I mean realistically he was never going to win anything there anyway.
Actually that's not true, when Klopp came in Dortmund had only just staved off bankruptcy and were in a bad way. He concentrated on youth due to lack of funds and built a title winning team combing mostly homegrown talent mixed in with bargain signings. Last summer they bought their most expensive player ever in Reus, they paid 16M, essentially the money they got from us for Kagawa.

Quote:
Klopp isn't an example of a manager that is a born winner, I mean look at them domestically this season or the first 3 seasons he was in charge of Dortmund. He has lost Kagawa, will lose the wonderboy Gotze & Lewondowski in the summer, lets see how much of a born winner he is next season & see if he can rebuild a squad.. or was it a flash in the pan.
He's won back to back league titles against a team built on 200M at least, the Dortmund team combined barely cost as much as Bayern paid for Javi Martinez alone. What he has done is the equivalent of Moyes winning our league with Everton. By the end of this season he could well be sitting on a haul of 4 trophies in 3 seasons and 6 years at the club with a team built on a small budget and youth development, that's not a flash in the pan, that's a born winner.

Quote:
I'd have preferred Mourinho as well simply because.. he is a winner. He wins everywhere, however even Mourinho has his drawbacks. He hasn't stuck around at a club for more than 3 years in his entire managerial career. He can build a good team there is no question, but can he then rebuild it when it needs to be rebuilt.. ? Also doesn't give youth as much of a chance as Moyes for example will.. or has done with Everton anyway.

Having said all that, I'd still have taken Mourinho & perhaps I'd have my concerns with him proved wrong... but then again the same could be said for Moyes & my concerns with him could be proved wrong. Lets just hope & pray, Sir Alex Ferguson is as good a judge of manager as he is player..
The thing is I wonder if Mourinho would still be Chelsea manager now if not for Abramovich, as everywhere Mou has gone since has pretty much felt like a stop-gap until he could get back to the country he loves managing in. He hasn't achieved his CL in Spain goal but he's got the La Liga title to add to his two PL's and Serie A titles, I think if he'd come back to England now to manage United, he'd see it as his settling down for the long haul job. However all we can do is hope Moyes is not a disaster.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"