View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #872
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Anyway, the point is that Nolan's Bat Universe doesn't have this endless rogue's gallery that the world can constantly throw at Bruce to perpetually force him into being Batman. At the end of TDK Bruce decides that his job as Batman has pretty much served its purpose.
Quote me the lines that said Bruce was finished as Batman at the end of TDK. Because until Nolan confirmed TDKR was set 8 years after TDK, nobody was thinking Batman had thrown in the towel at the end of TDK. TDK's ending gave the impression that Batman can endure being hunted and hated by Gotham because he can be what ever they need him to be. Just like what Alfred said to him when he was going to quit over Joker killing people in his name. He said "People are dying, Alfred. What would you have me do?", to which Alfred responds "Endure, Master Wayne. Take it. They'll hate you for it. But that's the point of Batman. He can be the outcast".

How can Batman be enduring anything if he's not Batman any more? No endurance required if you've quit.

Quote:
Hell, he decided the same thing in the middle of TDK, but nobody had a problem with that.
No, he didn't. He decided that he couldn't take any more blood on his hands because of the Joker's murder spree over him. He didn't end up quitting either. He pressed on and continued the good fight, even after Joker played them all for fools and escaped, killed Rachel, and mutilated Dent.

That's why nobody complains about it. The complaints against TDKR are the ones that were fabricated in TDKR.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 05-12-2013 at 09:34 AM.