View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #874
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
To me, this is all easily explained by the fact that Batman is more than just a man, but a symbol. Symbols can do things people can't. They can hold meaning even in the absence of the people who created them- a key point in the whole trilogy. That's what I take from it when Batman says, "I can do those things...unlike Dent."
"I can do those things because I'm not a hero. Not like Dent". That's the full quote. He's saying he's a man in a mask who fights outside the law. Dent was a hero with a face who fought the criminals through the law. That's what that line means. That's why he's not a hero like Dent is. That was the whole point of him wanting Dent to be Gotham's hero throughout TDK, because he's a better candidate to inspire Gotham than a masked vigilante can.

Quote:
The way I read the movie, that has always been why he can "take it". Because as Batman he's more than just a man. He can be whatever Gotham truly needs. And that includes decisions not to act. Like not turning himself in even when things are looking bad. Again, not being the hero.
Then I think you read the movie wrong. He didn't turn himself in because as Alfred said Batman stands for something more important than the whims of a terrorist. He didn't turn himself in because Gotham still needed him. Nothing to do with symbols. It was that he can endure being hated and press on with the job.

Just like what Alfred said to him in the bunker when Bruce was prepping himself to turn himself in. "Endure, Master Wayne. Take it". Endure doesn't mean quitting.

Quote:
I'm not saying TDK's ending implies he's going to retire, but I do think there was a touch of ambiguity there.
I don't. Look at TDK's ending. Batman says he's going to take the rap for Dent's crimes because he can be whatever Gotham needs. Gordon says they're going to hunt him and chase him because he can take it. He's now a Dark Knight.

Nobody was walking out of TDK outraged that Nolan retired Batman at the end of TDK because TDK did not give us that ending. On the contrary, it looked like Batman had evolved into a Dark Knight who was going to be on the job with the law snapping at his heels because he can endure that.

The point of taking the blame for Dent was to keep hope alive in Gotham, and not undo all of his good work. Nobody thought the city was going to become a crime free utopia that would make even Gordon surplus to requirements, let alone Batman. These things were not hinted at in TDK. That's why the bulk of the complaints against TDKR are the ones that stemmed from TDKR.

- The Joker