View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #394
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I know you want Zhang Tong, Cosmic. But that's part of what I said in the post above --- we get an amalgamation of all the different versions of comic-book Mandarin. Killian is the modern version(s) of the character, including business-suit Zhang Tong.

The only thing they really change up is the Rings, which are given a new meaning as a terrorist organization instead of a bunch of space alien rings. But they trade the power of the Rings for the power of Extremis, which is equally as powerful and menacing, and blends nicely into the Extremis plot without having to explain an over-the-top, jarring backstory about dead dragons in flying saucers and alien magic rings.

Honestly I've made my peace with the twist, and I find the reveal scene hilarious. While I would have rathered a Mandarin with the rings, Killian is a badass villain so I'm happy with him regardless.

Also, I find the name "Killian" more threatening than "Mandarin".

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.