View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #34
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Well, the suits tend to look a lot less cosplay-ish through a film camera and under movie lighting. Even so, Spider-Man should look a little bit like a cosplayer. After all, he supposed to be a working-class of limited means. It makes sense for the suit to may a homemade aesthetic.

I know Superman's suit is most often portrayed in the comics as having been made by Martha from the blankets in he was swaddled in his rocket and thus arguably should also have a homemade look to it, such an appearance does not fit the character quite as well. He is supposed to be a god-like alien that people look up at in awe who has a majestic quality about them, I think re-inventing the suit as traditional Kryptonian grab as Man of Steel does better fits that aspect of the character. Furthermore, it seems in line with the original Pre-Crisis depiction of Krypton where Jor-El dressed quite similarly to Superman with a cape and chest symbol and boots and all that.
I think the original concept of the suit was meant to look like futuristic/alien wear, at least the perception of how aliens might dress back in the 30s, although in-universe it doesn't work out because Superman didn't even know he was an alien nor did he have memories of Krypton, at least not during the golden age.