View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #113
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ghost Rider is back at Marvel Studios!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
One tweak is that I wouldn't center an entire season around a single character. I would instead follow the template laid down by Game of Thrones with multiple intersecting and divergent story arcs.
I understand where you're coming from and I wouldn't mind that type of show either if it came down to it. Here's my thinking on it though - having each season revolve around a single character might interest actors who would rather not be tied long-term into contracts with Marvel. If an actor knows that they're only contractually obligated for 12 episodes, with the possibility of a feature film that could tie the show's characters together, it might be a more enticing deal. Another benefit of that model would be from the writing perspective - I think it would be much easier to write a story arc that centers around one main character as opposed to juggling multiple 'leads' for the show.

When it comes down to it though, I just think that many of these characters deserve their own showcase without competing for screentime. We know that Marvel can't give every character in their arsenal a feature film for various reasons (whether that's scheduling issues, perceived lack of consumer interest, or saturation of the market). On a channel like HBO, a 12-episode season equates to nearly 12 hours of screen time - that's nearly twice the combined runtimes for the three Iron Man movies. That means a one season story arc is plenty of time to tell a good story & allows the show to stay fresh with a revolving cast.

Again, that's just my opinion - I think it'd be more interesting story-telling and allows some of these other characters the deserving chance to stand on their own.

H.U.S.T.L.E. is offline   Reply With Quote