View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Default Re: Star Wars vs. Avengers 2 (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I would say Avengers 2, as well. The Star Wars film has a few things going against it:

1. The Prequel Trilogy. It is going to take a lot to wash the terrible taste of the trilogy away.
2. Age. If they go forward with the alleged casting, then the film is going to have the casting go against it as well: time has not been kind to Fisher and Hamill; Abrams would be wise to not have them involved in any fight scenes. Ford, on the other hand, can pull it off, as he running the fine line that Hamill and Fisher fell off of.
3. Destruction of the Expanded Universe. Sure, some people are happy it is gone, but to those who actively purchased EU products - books, films, comics, and video games-the fact that the texts they enjoyed are no longer in continuity is inflammatory. Hell, I am almost tempted to sell/throw out most of my SW books and associated merchandise because of this decision.

Of course, the film will inevitably gross hundreds of millions, with the automatons who supported the prequel trilogy filling the seats once more. Chances are Abrams is going to get a home run, if not bunt the ball. It is just that the film has a lot going against it before pre-production is completed.

Agreed on all counts. Plus, as the guy mentioned in the You Tube video, Avengers 2 will get promoted like crazy over the next 2 years. Not only through things like posters, TV spots, and movie trailers, as all films do, but also all of the related superhero movies that are coming up. We've just seen Iron Man 3 with their (somewhat disappointing) teaser trailer at the end. In November we'll get Thor 2 and their post movies Avengers 2 teaser. Next year, in 2014, I'm guessing that there will be a Captain America 2. Perhaps a Hulk 2. I understand that they're planning an Ant Man movie which could be out by summer 2014 and be a tie in with Avengers 2. They might even make a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie for summer 2014. Each one with a story element which might lend itself to the Avengers 2 plot, and a post credits teaser tying that movie to Avengers 2. Just like we got with each of the Marvel films that lead up to the first Avengers film.

Star Wars has nothing to promote itself with but its legacy, a legacy severely marred by the extreme crappiness of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. Many of the younger film goers, when they think Star Wars, they don't think A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of The Jedi. They think The Franchise Menace, Attack of The Clowns, and Revenge of The S#!t. And as a result, they may very well avoid the new Star Wars Trilogy like the plague. Even if Abrams is able to return the series to its former greatness, it likely won't be until after all of the rave reviews are in that people will go see Star Wars 7. If they open on the same weekend, Avengers 2 will win out.

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote