View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #686
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium Man View Post
Agreed. The end battle sequence was all Jarvis and the level of power Tony had at the beginning of the movie.

No, I'm talking about the very brief sequence at the very end, of him getting the reactor taken out, where he narrates about "progress being dangerous" and "I am a changed man now". Granted, it's very subtle, and I could be wrong, but I was looking at the patch of white, unscarred skin on his chest where the reactor used to be in the shot where he throws the reactor into the Pacific and wondered at the level of reconstructive surgery in play here.

Seriously, why would he say that progress in heart surgery or acupuncture is dangerous? Answer: He's not talking about that. He's talking about having "fixed" Pepper and not stopping there. He upgraded Extremis, and then he took it himself. After all, he had just witnessed Pepper kicking Killian's ass with its help, and it makes sense that he'd want that for himself, just minus the glowing and exploding bits. Which he could fix, so he did.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
My question, and maybe it's been discussed already but I had unsubscribed from this thread when the spoilers started being discussed before it came to the States, is if Tony perfected/fixed/upgraded Extremis, did he actually realize Maya Hansen's (and Curt Connors') dream of enabling the human body to heal/regenerate itself? If so, what sort of implications would and should that have on the entire world from Iron Man 3 on? Did he revolutionize the entire medical field? Is Stark Industries now making bricks and beams and Extremis for baby hospitals? Sorry if this has been discussed, but it's kind of a burning question for me (no pun intended) and it would be a lot of work to read through the weeks of pages I missed. Thanks in advance for humoring me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
It ended as soon as Tony started being more pro-active and doing the MacGuyver stuff. Makes sorta sense to me. Till then he had been living either in a state of paranoia about what may happen or in reactionary mode to what was happening after the Mandarin stuff started. I guess the message of this film is a the best defense is a good offense, oh...and it helps with mental heath issues, too.
Yeah, I think the idea was that Tony was losing himself, his mental stability, and his identity to his suits. The mere thought that Mark 42 wasn't charging triggered his very last anxiety attack. The kid reminds him that he has always been and will always be "the Mechanic", with or without his suit, and that pretty much "cured" him from that point on. This sense of identity and purpose drives him the rest of the way through the film and enables him later to run the "Clean Slate" protocol and even get his high tech prosthesis removed. In the end, it's the man who makes the suit, not the other way around.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote