View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #67
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - - - - Part 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
!But honestly, now that your question forced me to think about it, what makes a pub a pub rather than just a bar?
I think there a lot of ways to define a place as a pub:

- Daytime drinkers and 'locals' (guys that literally spend whole days in there drinking beer)
- Bar stools & 'barflies' (people who always sit around the bar - usually guys who come in on their own and sit and read the paper and maybe make conversation with he barmaid).
- Teams I.e. Darts, Pool etc.

It's also a bit about the look of the place. Lots of wood and cotton cusioned chairs and big bulky bars. Lots of pubs have odd things collected and displayed - mini spirit bottles, novelty shot glass or mugs, awards and cups from their teams wins etc.

I've worked in several proper pubs, and I absolutely love them and do miss them in the city. It's just not the same.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*