View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #529
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
No, it wouldn't be like Bane being Ra's, its exactly like Ducard being Ra's in BB. It's the exact same thing!

Hell, Ducard/Ra's wasn't immortal, he never wore the traditional Ra's outfit, he wasn't Arabic, etc. the only trait you could equate to his comic book counterpart, was that he was skilled in martial arts/hand-to-hand combat. Other than that, it was just the same kind of twist we got with IM3. Although, for some reason, when Nolan does it, he somehow "respected the character", when really, I think he went just as far, if not farther than what Shane Black did.
There's a tangible reason why Ras wasn't immortal though, it's because of the plausibility (yeah we know it's not realistic, but plausible is what we're talking about) Nolan was going for. There's a point to it, and it was used for dramatic purposes, not as a joke. And while ethnically Ras in BB may have been different (we know what Liam is obviously but I don't think it's ever explicitly known what Ras is supposed to be) and wore different things, he did still embody the character from the comics physically somewhat. He's still recognizable.

This twist made zero sense, even in the context of the film. The whole terrorist ploy was to cover up for Extremis failing, yet, he allows one of these still unstable Extremis experiments to Hollywood of all places, presumably knowing it's likely he might blow up?

Extremis makes people glow, and apparently walking around in public like that isn't a huge issue? Savin got out of the truck glowing for pete's sake!

Killian is trying to control supply and demand for his Extremis soldiers, but acts like no other place in the world, with conflicts already happening, wouldn't be happy to purchase said soldiers just the same?

On top of that Killian kidnaps Pepper to lure Stark to help with Extremis, but he also tries to kill him before any of that even happens? Speaking of Pepper, if Extremis is so easy for Stark to fix, why in the world didn't he do that years ago and help millions? Hell, even if it's purely for selfish reasons, after the Ten Ring experience changed his outlook on life to the point that he wants Stark Industries to get out of the weapon business, wouldn't that have been an opportune time to get the company to manufacture something to help people and make even more money at the same time?

This movie only bothers me so much because it could've been so much more (IM2 also) It just feels like a huge missed opportunity to have a truly special trilogy, and as it stands, there's one classic film and two mediocre ones IMO...

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 05-20-2013 at 12:38 PM.