View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #674
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Haven't been keeping up much with the discussion you guys were having but I do feel the need to address the statement that there is anyone here with a "wrong" opinion.

There is no such thing as a wrong opinion. However, there is such thing as a stupid one.
I actually disagree (kindof). This gets said a lot on the boards. It often comes from the creation of a false dualism between subjectivity and objectivity. Its assumed that because opinions are subjective, they cannot be right or wrong in the same way as objective "facts." That overly schisms the relationship between opinions and facts. If opinions were unassailable by truth claims there could be no discussion, and furthermore no one would ever change their opinion based on the facts.

I'd rather say opinions can be wrong, but not in the same way that facts are wrong. Its not correct to say one's opinion is a fact (that would reduce the distinction between opinions and facts), but it is correct to say someone else's opinion is wrong in the sense that it doesn't align with reality / the facts.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.