View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #712
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Going by wiki , maybe that's not an opinion. Saying the earth is a square isn't an opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion

Opinion are usually reserved for subjective matters , or interpretation of facts.
While we are selectively quoting wikipedia, here is another tidbit from that article that might interest you:

"Opinions rarely change without new arguments being presented. It can be reasoned that one opinion is better supported by the facts than another by analyzing the supporting arguments."

Interpretations of facts can be wrong. The fact that opinions are subjective doesn't mean they are utterly divided from objective facts. There's a delicate relationship there you have to give an account of.

One can argue that someone's opinion coheres with facts, or that it doesn't. That Iron Man 3 is better than The Amazing Spider-Man isn't a fact, that's a subjective preference. If I have the opinion that I'm a unicorn, that opinion doesn't cohere with reality. Its a bad opinion, even if it is my "subjective interpretation" of my life.

C. Lee is right in the sense that I stated above - preferential opinions are not right or wrong. Everyone is welcome to the free expression of their opinions. The mods are right to enforce this.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.