View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #70
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Default Re: Best 3rd movie in a CBM franchise so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I would have to disagree abut TKDR's epilogue, I thought it was brilliant, and ended this particular trilogy brilliantly, the last 5 mins of the movie I just have my jaw open the entire time, and that last scene and the way it closes, brilliant.
I thought it was a bit self-indulgent myself, but hey, different strokes for different folks. It disrupted the flow of the movie for me, and Bruce being alive at the end with Selina seemed like nonsensical fan service(not to mention making zero sense), as well as trivializing both his sacrifice and his suffering. For one thing, the 'romance', if it can be called that, with her was nonexistent, so not only did he have no business being with her at the end, but it was inconsistent with his character IMO. Bruce was foolish with her from the get-go, constantly trusting her when she gave him more reasons not to than otherwise. This bit painfully reminded me of TASM, in the sense that Pete & Gwen's relationship was executed in a similarly careless manner, and the promise bit at the end had the same affect as Bruce surviving - negating the impact of the sacrifice.

John Blake's arc? A fairly worthless character with no development, but rather an implied character depth, that seemed shoehorned into the film. His conclusion was just as hollow, with yet another casually addressed bit of fan service that neither fit with the film or was consistent with the people involved.

Quote:
It was a bit rushed, I'll give you that, but IM3's was very rushed, too rushed in face, especially him getting the arc reactor removed. That needed a bit more explanation. Even a simply sentence saying that the technology to do wasnt available until now, would have helped a lot. I mean why didnt he just get it removed in IM2 when it was killing him? It confused things in the franchise a bit for me, and it being rushed didnt help.
Agree on all counts. With regard to the bolded quote, this may have been addressed in the Chinese cut, as there was about 5 minutes of exposition between Dr. Wu & Fan Bingbing's characters prior to Tony's surgery; however, I don't speak Mandarin and won't be here long enough to attempt it, so it was lost on me. Either way, I think that was meant for the audience to infer, but I still think it undermined what Tony had been through in a way. Makes me think back to what he said to Banner in Avengers, and how that no longer has any meaning.

Quote:
I also thought TDKR realised a lot of its ambitions, it brought the hero down to a level we hadnt previously seen him
I didn't see it that way, personally. Bruce didn't go through much that he hadn't before(or worse), and the issue I have with this film is that he didn't have any sort of personal stake(everyone close to him was either dead or gone) in what was going on outside of "I have to save my city." That's all fine and dandy, but that's been done better before in each of the previous films. Bane even felt like little more than a plot device to take Batman out of the picture while Gotham was in a state of anarchy.

Quote:
its a fault of all Marvel Studio's movies so far, that they play it a little too safe...
I agree. Phase 2 seems to be attemping to buck that trend, however.

Quote:
yet they only took one here, and it didnt really pay off, quite the opposite with a lot of fans in fact.
I think they took a few with IM3, with Pepper, Tony's PTSD, his lack of reliance on the armors, and of course the now infamous twist. Again, different strokes for different folks, but IMO they were all done effectively. The biggest offender in the film for me was the half-hearted epilogue.

Last edited by Visualiza; 05-21-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote