View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #481
GremlinZilla89
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

I grew up with Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever (hated Batman and Robin even when I saw it as an 8 year old) and Batman: The Animated Series.

Batman 89 was always a film I liked, but never loved. I preferred Returns as a kid and still do today.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Batman 89, but I don't think it has aged well at all. Many movies seem to show their age over time age, but Batman in particular suffers more than most films of the time imo. I don't think Burton had the chops to tackle such a big affair at the time. While you can tell Returns was filmed on a set, the movie does a better job at hiding it. Bats 89 feels like a stage production a lot of the time. There isn't much finesse in the pacing or editing. It's sadly dry and slow a lot of the time. While the actual designs of everything are great, the films narrative lacks drive or momentum. And I simply don't like the reveal of the Joker being the one who killed Bruces parents. Not because it differs from the comics, but it just doesn't work in the film. It felt tacked on.

There are still many things about it I enjoy: Keaton, Nicholson, the score, Batmans entrance in the film, the final showdown, the overall comic-booky plot...it's entertaining in parts, but sadly dull most of the time.