View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #21
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: *Spoilers* Problems caused by the MCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
I never said that it wasn't a perhaps "realistic" was a poor choice of words. The point I'm trying to make is that there is a uniform tone that all of these films have to abide by now to a degree. The X-Men and Spider-Man were both great films but they had strikingly different tones that didn't mesh well together at all. This to a degree allowed each of the franchises to function much better and highlight the messages they were trying to deliver much more efficiently.

The point I'm trying to make is that the reason none of the sequels have lived up to the original film is because the science fiction tone has shifted closer to fantasy, with scientific elements.

No not all superhero films should be realistic, but not all should have the same tone either. While I love the fact all of these characters can co-exist, the more rational side of me that can look past the geek out understands that this could seriously inhibit the solo films being put out.
I don't think it's going to seriously inhibit the solo films at all. The point is willing suspension of disbelief, and it's pretty well established that Marvel audiences have gladly and gleefully suspended their disbelief. We all understand that it's (finally) a genuine comic book universe, so nobody's out there in the audience rolling their eyes and saying, "Yeah, right, like THAT could ever happen....."

And the tone of the movies *is* going to change, often, even within a single franchise. That's because you've got different directors and different writers with different approaches. And Marvel embraces that. Shane Black's take on IM is different than Fav's; Taylor's Thor will be different than Branagh's; the Russos will paint Cap in a different light than Joe Johnston did.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is online now   Reply With Quote