View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #22
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: Race changes that wouldn't bother you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Fan View Post
Race changes in don't really bother me just because I think that there are far too many great minority actors who can portray characters that aren't drawn to be minority. I will say I'm slightly a Hippocrate as I do get a little bit upset when a minority figure be it a fictional or non-fictional character gets changed to be white (also known as white-washing) and the only reason why it bothers me is because there are so many great minority actors and so few great minority roles and even fewer that aren't a stereotype.

Whenever we see a minority (usually black) actor being offered a role that is known to be white, people cry and act like it changes everything and it doesn't (at least not for most characters) they also act like the reverse never happens although it happens a lot even when the characters aren't fictional.

Characters who shouldn't see a race change (off the top of my head):
Tony Stark
Steve Rogers
Red Skull
Dr. Doom
Wolverine
Prof. X
Magneto

So basically as long as it fits in with the times and history of the character I don't really care. I will also say that I understand the desire to see the characters on screen look like their comic book counterpart but at this stage in comic to film adaptions just because a character looks the part doesn't mean that they will be portrayed the same way in terms of personality the x-men films have taught me a great deal about that.
Out of curiosity, why Wolverine?