View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #31
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: *Spoilers* Problems caused by the MCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
You're still not understanding what I'm saying. It's not about believability, it's about the uniform tone the films have had since the MCU really came to fruition.

Iron Man was a science fiction/corporate espionage film before being a superhero movie. It had some over the top aspects but for the most part the incredible powers and other worldy aspects were explained by technology.

The Incredible Hulk was more of a government conspiracy thriller than a superhero movie as well. It was a basic action summer block buster, but it didn't feel like a fantasy.

Everything from Iron Man 2 and on however has had pretty much the same cartoon fantasy type of tone. None of them stand out as being particularly unique. Pretty much the same dynamic each time, with different characters, set pieces, and scenarios.

That's completely besides the point. It's a general rule of thumb that the farther you get away from the original work, the source material, the less and less it feels like it. When you get into movie 4 and 5 the subtleties that existed early on begin to fade away and the movie no longer builds upon it's message but itself. One of the reasons I enjoyed Iron Man 3, infact was because Shane Black gave it a different flavor, while understanding core reasons we reacted well to the original.

The problem I'm beginning to notice this universe is so heavily standardized the individuality of the movies produced under it's blanket are restricted to the point they can't shine as bright as they perhaps could have if they stood alone.
You're still saying the same thing I'm saying, in a roundabout way. It *is* about willing suspension of disbelief, in the end analysis. And again, I don't think audiences have shown any trouble in that department at all.

It seems that you're saying that because the earliest MS movies had very definite genre structures --- spy thriller, WWII war/pulp movie, misguided monster movie, etc. --- that they didn't feel like superhero movies as much as the new ones do. That everything is becoming a single catch-all generic "superhero" genre. But that's to be expected --- the "superhero" genre really is a mixmash of pretty much *every* form of speculative fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, supernatural horror) thrown into a contemporary ("real world") universe.

And I'd also argue that the new films *do* establish their own identities through different subgenres --- IM3 and CATWS as political thrillers; TDW as high fantasy; GOTG as space opera.

And it's pretty clear that Shane Black and Alan Taylor have been allowed to put their own stylistic stamp on their movies; and it's reasonable to assume that the Brothers Russo, James Gunn, and Edgar Wright will be given similar leeway.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote