View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #506
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

one interesting thing that I think a lot of people overlook:

Batman was considered a bit of a risk. WB pumped the money into it to make it good,but there were some concerns:

1) Michael Keaton as Batman. we ALL know the firestorm this caused! and there was plenty of talk that he might ruin the movie.

2) Tim Burton. he had success with Pee Wee and Beetlejuice. but this was his 1st truly major motion picture project. and it was a big unknown if he could direct outside of his comfy "quirky zone".

3) The Budget. at the time the budget "escalated" from $30 million to $48 million due to the Writer's Strike. nowadays,that's what they pay Robert Downey Jr. just to star in a film,but back then,it was considered a higher end budget,especially for a "comic-book film". and I know it made the suits at WB nervous. hell,a whole scene (the horseback-riding scene) was cut to prevent more money be added to the budget.

so we can look on this great film now,and see the hype that came with it,and it's obvious success. but to Warner Brothers,it was considered a gamble when production began in late 1988.