View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #35
JackWhite
Third Man

Default Re: Updated Rating for The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Culpepper View Post
BIG problem too. The lies in TDK (including Alfred burning Rachel's letter) had really no conmseque4nces or real development in TDKR.
You see, that's the thing - Nolan doesn't ignore a lot of those plot points in TDK, he just skims over them in favor of other....things.

Gordon actually gets arrested by "the people" in TDKR for his lies to the public, but he doesn't have any form of a mea culpa when he stands trial. That scene should have had so much weight to it, but Nolan just skimps out on the juicy stuff.

The Harvey Dent cover up is revealed by Bane at Blackgate prison, and then we see the fall out of a pissed off, jaded, and lied to Gotham City. Brilliant stuff is shown in the montage, but that is it. It stops right there after that scene, and then it's clean streets for the rest of the film.

Rachel's letter is something I haven't really though about. I mean, it's revealed to Bruce from Alfred in there last conversation before Alfred leaves. Great scene. But yeah, it's not really mentioned anymore. I guess you can spin it that Bruce really locked in on a subconscious suicide mission when he fought Bane the first time; because of hearing about the dear john letter. Still that's rather skimmed over too, but not as bad as the first two I mentioned.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote