View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #50
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Default Re: Race changes that wouldn't bother you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
^LOL!!!!

People are trying, we've had Batwing, Blue Beetle and more from DC. Marvel is more content to keep their black heroes as group leads rather than solo heroes.

On one hand, changing race is like changing the types of cars and buildings you see in the background. If you're updating a property to the modern era instead of the 60s, that includes removing the whitewash. On the other hand... adding diversity just makes things better overall in general. People who don't appreciate diversity or like things the way they were in the 60s tend to say anyone who feels differently is just doing it for PC reasons. The fact that your argument necessitates telepathy on people out in California shows the speciousness of the argument.

Changing black/asian/latino characters to white doesn't add diversity, it actually takes away diversity from the comics universe, neither does it update the property. The only reason to do so is to 'punish' others for taking away our white character from us.... or to do the tired "ethnic supervillain played by white guy is really a lackey for the white business-type" twist we keep getting nowadays. Those are both pretty sad reasons to be against diversity. Do you value diversity? Or do you prefer it be somewhere else?
1. Spiderman 2099 is stupid. I've always hated it. So pointing to one stupid decision by Marvel to justify another one is...well stupid. It would be a nice comeback if I earlier had expressed my love for Spiderman 2099, but I didn't. Spiderman 2099 is just has stupid to me as the new Ultimate Spiderman and GASP! Spiderman 2099 is WHITE and I still don't like him!?!

2. Regarding the bolded statement, you can't just claim something is better without giving any justifiable reasons why. Once again, turning an already established character's race does not make a character better. How can it?

3. When the **** did I bring up California? Also, I find it completely asinine and narrow-minded that you claim I 'don't like diversity'. 'People don't like diversity' or 'people who like the way things were in the 60's' is the kind of narrow-minded name calling that causes this kind of discussion to be a hassle anyway. I know what that means. You're nicely calling me a racist. Good to know bro. I'm a racist. Thanks for pointing that out. Too bad the KKK wouldn't let me in because I'm Jewish.

4. If you were smart, which you apparently are not, you would know the reason I brought up changing black/hispanic characters to white was not because I want to do that, it was to make a point. The point was changing the race of any character is stupid and pointless. If race is part of what makes us then changing the race is changing the character. If race doesn't matter, than you shouldn't care one way or another. Its a catch 22. I want my characters to be how they originally intended to be. I'll fight just as hard to keep Black Panther black as I will Spiderman white.

But yeah. Thanks for calling me a racist. You showed us how to have class in a simple discussion. When someone disagrees with you, just call them names!

Also, DC could easily sell Batwing, he's a pretty cool character, if they actually marketed the hell out of him and had him appear in other Batman comics and stuff. Again, the companies are lazy. I know creating a new popular character is hard work, but it can be done pretty easily if you actually do the hard work. Deadpool rose to fame when they started putting him in everything from Cable and Deadpool, to multiple titles ex. Marvel decided to market the hell out of him because he had sort of a following and now he's one of the most popular comic characters even outside of the comic community. He even has his own video game now. In the grand scheme of things, its easier to kill off a character so many people love like Peter Parker, and put a new face in an already established suit then to create a new unique one.

Last edited by weezerspider; 05-28-2013 at 07:06 PM.