View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #69
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Updated Rating for The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
Yes, Rachel was Bruce's reason for keep being Batman, not to quit as I had said before.

Alfred is telling Bruce he has to quit, that he "used to talk about a life beyond that awful cave" to which Bruce replies, "Rachel died knowing that we had decided to be together. THAT was my life beyond the cave. I can't just move on. She didn't."

So all the same, Bruce's decisions had been based on Alfred's lie.
Yep, exactly. Bruce would have quit as Batman if Gotham became a safer place and would have moved on with Rachel, a luxury that didn't happen, but it's for the best when Rachel wasn't in love with Bruce as it was the other way around.

Quote:
Mentioning them is not developing them. As a storyteller he can't diminish important elements of the story he has placed there himself.
Bringing them to light, giving them a resolution such as revealing the Dent Act was a lie, revealing that Dent was a murderer and then revealing that Rachel chose to be with Dent, that is developing them. A clear resolution of the truth having its day which is what Alfred spoke about to Bruce.

Quote:
Bruce says "How dare you USE Rachel to try to stop me?" Then Alfred suggests that is the truth and Bruce, as calm as he was before, says

I'm not saying Bruce definitely didn't believe Alfred, but it's rather vague.

Because if Bruce had believed Alfred... why did that have no effect whatsoever in Bruce's life after that conversation? He kept on like if he hadn't believed him. Rachel choosing Bruce or choosing Dent, Bruce kept being Batman (after he retook the role).
I don't find it really vague, but if you do, I'd suggest watch the film again as it doesn't seem vague at all, but perhaps people could see how it could be since Rachel isn't mentioned again, or at least regarding the letter.

Although, why do you think Bruce continued to not believe Alfred? When Talia/Miranda brings up Rachel's picture, Bruce doesn't say a word and places the picture down. He knows full well that he believed a lie for eight years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfan98 View Post
Was anyone else bothered by the heard mentality of the people of Gotham in this film? I felt to me that Nolan sacrificed continuity for an extremely overhanded message. It really bothered me that at the end war we only see Cops fight against the Mercenaries. In BB it is set up that Gotham is a lost cause and that only a very few people (Bruce, Rachel, Gordon) see any chance of redemption in the city for its people. In TDK this was continued on with Dent believing this and the Joker believing in the opposite. In fact one of the greatest moments in TDK is when we see that Bruce's faith IS justified and that the people have begun to change and pull them selves out of the metaphorical pit. Then in TDKR all that's flushed away for Nolan's message. I get the people would be intimidated by Bane and would be hiding out, but the only people we see fighting Bane in secret or at the end are cops. I feel that there should have been common people mixed in with the cops. My random thoughs.
Imo, it should have been the cops fighting against Bane's men and the prisoners. Regular citizens wouldn't do it just because Batman needed an army, not just hopeful citizens that couldn't do as much. Batman finally having all of the GCPD on his side says wonders that he gained the police's trust by the end of the trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I don't see that point, Joker. The extras didn't make me give a damn about the city, horrible acting doesn't make me care, it makes me not care. I just cared because it's Gotham and it was portrayed in a way where it could be my city. The fact that TDKR didn't show the people yet the other films showed bad extras, doesn't change anything. I cared for Gotham in all 3 movies, and showing the people reacting isn't what made me care. I cared regardless.
Bleh...I for one am glad we did not get any ridiculous extras in TDKR. Everyone else besides Tiny was awful in the ferry scene.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote