View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #83
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Updated Rating for The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
There was still no reaction to Alfred lying.
Telling Alfred he destroyed his world is no reaction?

Quote:
All the purpose of anything happening in any narration is what happens with it, not just that happens. That's why Bruce Wayne's story doesn't end when he becomes Batman. ity's more like that's precisely when the whole story become more interesting. The consequences of it is what matters.

Romeo and Juliet's story doesn't end with them declaring their love. The consequences of it are what matters.

But specially lies. Lies do have consequences. If they don't they just make for lazy storytelling, where key elements are set and no fruition come from it. Just bare mentions.

But if you think there are no needs for consequences, considering those lies were precisely big part of what kept us wanting to keep following this story, please tell me how so.
I said certain things do not need consequences, and you're kidding if you think everything needs a consequence. Alfred informing Bruce about Rachel's letter didn't need a consequence besides the truth being told. Or, you could look at Alfred having leaving as some sort of consequence, but that's reaching a little.

And like I mentioned as well, Gordon "being in court" can be viewed as a consequence as well, but I view that at the end of TDKR, there didn't need to be some sort of any more conclusion because he's a war hero once again; as he was mentioned as being a war hero in the beginning of TDKR, he is one again and should have obviously been treated as one if Gotham treated Batman so high such as even building a statue on his honor since Batman and Gordon are both guilty of creating the lie.

Quote:
Everything is.
Agreed, lol.

Quote:
But tell me what made you think that. because as far as what can be quoted and seen, nothing clearly showed that Bruce believed him. And if he did, he didn't care much for the lie, so him believing Alfred would be unimportant and irrelevant (in which case, why having Alfred lying in the first place?)
What Bruce says tells me he's aware Alfred is telling the truth. Yes, anyone can pick apart anything to their own interpretation, but what Bruce says, to me, proves that he is aware at the end of their dialogue that he knows Alfred is telling the truth.

And of course he did care for the lie. He said Alfred destroyed his world. Why would it destroy his world if he didn't care about the lie?

Quote:
You're saying Alfred, the closest man to our hero, the one Batman trust the most in the world, lies about something this big... and the natural thing to happen is that Bruce doesn't care?

Lazy writing. If anything, maybe not a reaction at first, but somewhere in the story. Otherwise, again, why setting a stage where nothing will happen. Good storytelling comes from big drama, not flat resolution.
Who said Bruce doesn't care?

AGAIN....Bruce said Alfred destroyed his world. Bruce was made to believe in a lie for eight years and didn't move on, when he could have if he only knew that Rachel planned on being with Harvey.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote