View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #914
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
ha.

I don't think there are any masterpieces in the superhero genre. This genre puts a lot of limits on filmmakers.
I think the genre of CBMs has its own rule when it comes to masterpieces. As you said, and I'll agree, the genre certainly has its limits with the filmmakers. Something so ambitious as TDKR is, I think that makes it a masterpiece in my eyes. The scope of it, the finality of it, the "feels" I have when watching it...it's a CBM as its finest and Nolan has certainly made three of the finest in this genre, but TDKR takes the cake for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I gotta say that 2008 is by far the best year of CBM's we've gotten. This isn't just because we got a huge number of films that were good to great (Iron Man, TDK, Hellboy 2, The Incredible Hulk, in my opinion Punisher: War Zone; with the only bad CBM of the year being The Spirit) but also because we've had multiple movies that year, both comic book movies and just general ones, that did well at the box office because they were good movies, Iron Man and TDK being the best examples. It is nice to see what we can still get that once in a while as opposed to crappy movies always making tons of money or great movies not making the full amount they deserve.
Punisher: War Zone, eh?

I would have to agree, though.

The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Hellboy II: The Golden Army were all great films. It's been a while since we had more than just two great CBMs in a year since 2008. And, there was 2010 with Kick-Ass and Red.

Every film in Nolan's trilogy had at least one other great CBM in their respective year. We know of 2008 obviously and there was Sin City with Batman Begins and Dredd with The Dark Knight Rises(yes, I'll rate Dredd higher than TA these days...although TA is still a really good film, just only gone down in my eyes).

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 05-31-2013 at 10:30 PM.